28 Mar 2021
Dear family in Christ
We commemorate Palm Sunday today. Our Saviour Jesus Christ had set his heart to walk the way of the cross to Calvary. He rode into Jerusalem city on a humble donkey (Matthew 21:1-11). The excited Jewish crowd shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” But five days later,loud voices cried out, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”.
As we enter Holy Week, may our hearts focus on Jesus Christ and His sacrificial obedience to the will of God the Father.
- Washing the disciples’ feet (John 13:1-17): Servanthood, humility and love for one another must be the hallmark of a committed disciple of Jesus.
- Passover meal (Matthew 26:17-29): Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper (body and blood) as an important remembrance of God’s new covenant of His grace and mercy.
- Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:36-46): Jesus was in deep agony and sorrow, yet He was fully obedient to the will of His Father.
- Betrayal, arrest and trial (Luke 22:47 – 23:25): Jesus was mocked, beaten and humiliated, yet He was meek, “like a lamb that is led to the slaughter”.
- Crucifixion and death (Luke 23:33-56): In great suffering and painful shame, Jesus gave His life sacrificially on the cross in atonement for our sins and the sins of the world.
- Resurrection (Matthew 28:1-10): Hallelujah. He is Risen. Praise and thanks be to God for the victory over sin and death, and the blessed hope of eternal life in Jesus Christ.
As we reflect on these series of events, may we learn precious lessons from Jesus and press on in walking close to Him in joyful surrender.