14 Oct 2018 – Confirmation Service
Dear family in Christ
We rejoice with the 21 brothers and sisters in Christ who are confirmed today. We give thanks to Abba Father for his bountiful grace and mercy in calling them to Himself as His beloved children and as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ.
In the Anglican Church, the rite of Confirmation is significant for several reasons.
- It is for the strengthening of the believer for Christian life and witness and also for ministry and service, by the empowering of the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands by the bishop.
- It is an opportunity for those who had been baptized as infants to confess their faith publicly and declare personally their baptismal vows, as undertaken on their behalf by their parents and godparents.
- It is the receiving into full membership in a particular parish of the Diocese of Singapore and a declaration of their discipleship commitment together with the church community at St John’s Chapel.
As we witness the Confirmation today, may we be strengthened in the following areas:
- Community: We are a community together as the Body of Christ. Let us encourage one another, especially those in our Cell groups, to walk close to Jesus and to serve God faithfully in the work of His eternal kingdom.
- Commitment: We have declared our baptismal vows to God at our baptism. Let us honour our vows to live a Christ-centred godly life and to trust in God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Communion: We have the communion of the Holy Spirit with us. Let us walk in step with the Spirit in obedience and faith, and proclaim the gospel of Christ faithfully, even as we await eagerly for the Return of our Lord Jesus Christ.